Monday, January 19, 2009

Potatoes...and a bit of humor - take 2

Please pardon my multiple posts as I learn how to share videos!

Apparently I've already hit a bit of a slump. I have plenty of stuff to blog about, but I haven't been motivated. I think I sorta have those midwinter blahs, and Shaun and I have just been lazy and watching a ton of movies and TV shows on Netflix/Xbox. That whole system takes couch potato-ness to a whole new level. Fortunately, that phrase helps lead into the two recipes I wanted to share tonight - how convenient. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of either, because it seems when we have any kind of potatoes they just disappear too fast!

I encountered the first recipe on Heather Drive, a blog I read pretty frequently. Heather started a blog back when we were on the same wedding planning message board, and I got hooked! I admit that I'm very much a person who likes to follow a recipe and measure exact amounts, but somehow I guessed right with this one - at least according to Shaun! And as Heather suggests, we'll experiment with other spices as we will definitely make these a lot. These fries will fill your house with a wonderful aroma as they bake.

Crispy (Baked!) Homefries

2-2.5 lbs. potatoes
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Garlic salt
Black pepper
Oregano
Parsley

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
Rinse potatoes and (if desired) peel. (we didn't peel ours) Cut potatoes into small chunks. Be sure to cut them all so they are relatively the same size.
In large bowl, combine potatoes with the rest of the ingredients. Drizzle liberally with olive oil. Add in garlic powder, garlic salt, black pepper, oregano, and parsley (to taste). With your hands, toss potatoes to coat them with herbs and spices.
Pour potatoes onto baking sheet and spread evenly.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crispy, flipping with spatula every 15-20 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on size of potatoes and individual oven. If potatoes do not become crispy on their own, throw them under the broiler for an additional 5 minutes after baking. (ours tasted good to us with just the baking)

The second recipe is once again from my mom, and I don't know the original source. Nothing fancy, but they have a pretty good flavor while steering away from the butter that's often used in mashed potato recipes. Of course I like to put butter on top anyway...

Mashed Potatoes

3 lbs cubed peeled baking potatoes
1/2 c reduced fat milk
1/2 c fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and return potatoes to pan. Add milk and broth; mash to desired consistency. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Stir in sour cream, salt and pepper.

So, for the humor - Shaun and I have watched SNL together pretty much every weekend since college...it's just one of those things we do, whether it's good or bad. The post-election shows have been a letdown overall, which is understandable, but the latest episode was so bad we were both asleep for the very end. However, I found a pretty funny impersonation that for some reason wasn't aired. On inauguration eve, regardless of your political affiliation, I think most of us can agree that the video in the post below is just plain funny:

No comments: