Saturday, March 14, 2009

North Woods Wild Rice Soup

In honor of the last full week of winter (yay!), I decided to make one of our favorite soups. It's yet another recipe I got from my mom years ago, and I couldn't find any exactly like it online, so I'm not sure of the original source. It's simple and yummy, and it incorporates the state grain of my home state, Minnesota.


Not the prettiest picture in the world, but how do you make soup look pretty?

North Woods Wild Rice Soup

1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 12-ounce can evaporated fat-free milk
1 cup cooked wild rice (I took a short cut and used one of those 90-second microwave packets)
1 cup chopped cooked chicken
1/2 of an 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed

In a 4-qt. pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrot. Cook and stir over medium heat until carrot is tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add broth all at once. Cook and stir until bubbly. Stir in evaporated milk, wild rice, chicken and cream cheese; cook and stir over medium-low heat until cheese is melted. (We got about 4 servings out of this.)

No comments: