Thursday, July 16, 2009

Strawberry & Chicken Salad

I'm back! I haven't gotten around to uploading the pictures yet, but I'm sure I will soon do a recap of our fun trip to MN. For now, here is a recipe for a salad that I made for some quick, light dinners before our trip:

Shortly before I graduated from college, my mom discovered this recipe and it quickly became part of her regular dinner rotation - and then my own once I moved out. It's a refreshing, summery salad from Kraft - it's light and sweet, and even though it sounds like chick food, it tastes so good that even guys like it. In fact, Shaun is disappointed when we have any salad that doesn't involve caramelized almonds - and we don't even normally eat almonds! Here's the original recipe, and my version is below. (I omit the mandarin oranges and onions because I'm boring like that.)

Strawberry & Chicken Salad

Head(s) of green leaf lettuce, washed and torn
Chicken breasts, cut into small pieces and cooked
Sliced strawberries to taste
Sugar and sliced almonds for caramelized almonds (see below)
Kraft Creamy Poppyseed Dressing (I'm sure other brands or even homemade dressing would go just as well, but I'm addicted to the Kraft stuff)

Caramelized Almonds
Heat 1/2 cup sliced almonds and 3 Tbsp. sugar in nonstick skillet on medium-high heat for several minutes or until sugar is golden brown, stirring frequently (it doesn't take long - once the sugar melts they're almost done). Spread into a thin layer on baking sheet or sheet of wax paper; cool. Break into small pieces.

You can assemble everything in a large bowl like the Kraft website suggests to make it pretty, but since it's usually just the two of us, we take our lettuce and toppings buffet-style for individual servings. One head of lettuce, 2-3 chicken breasts, and the amount of almonds above will usually get us at least 4 servings.

2 comments:

d.a.r. said...

Yum!!!! That looks delish!

Cara said...

Love strawberries (and most fruits!) on salads! This looks great!