Friday, August 7, 2009

Easy Crumbly Cornbread

Once again, I must give credit to my mom for pointing me toward a recipe. I'm not sure how she chose this one out of all the cornbread recipes out there, but Shaun and I are grateful - it's really tasty! Of course, with two sticks of butter included, it's not something we have all the time (and I rationalize it since it's not like we eat it in one sitting, right??). But just as we like our soft and crumbly cupcakes, we like this soft and crumbly cornbread. Throw some honey butter on there and mmmm...good stuff.

I hired my hubby as the photographer for this post...I think I might give him the permanent position!

The original recipe can be found on cooks.com, but I changed a few ingredient amounts and cleaned up the directions a bit. The first time I made the original, the middle was underdone while the edges got dark. To avoid that the second time, I turned it into corn muffins instead, but we didn't like that quite as much as the original. This last time, I used the amounts below in the 9 x 13 pan, and it was just about perfect - but there's definitely some leeway if you want to experiment.

Easy Crumbly Cornbread

1/2 lb. butter
3 eggs
1 cup milk (original says 1 1/4 cups)
3 cups pancake mix
2/3 cup sugar (original says up to 1 cup)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 to 3/4 cup cornmeal

While pre-heating oven to 350 degrees, melt butter in 9 x 13-inch pan in oven. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat eggs with milk in a separate bowl. When butter is melted, carefully remove from oven, and pour egg/milk mixture and butter into dry mix. Stir to combine - batter will have a few lumps. Pour into the butter-greased pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until center is firm to touch. Allow to stand 3-5 minutes before serving.

No comments: