Monday, December 15, 2008

Cheddar Ham Chowder

With a busy weekend of shopping, baking, gathering and eating, I've already gotten behind on some recipe posts. Tonight (before and after the mandatory Chuck and Heroes viewing, of course!) I'm going to make my best attempt to start catching up, starting with Thursday's dinner. I've had the recipe saved for a long time, but I think I got it at Allrecipes, here. It was pretty easy, and Shaun made it even easier by having all the veggies chopped and ready to go when I got home from work. They say it serves 6-8, but I think we got around 5 servings as we didn't think to have any sides with it.

Cheddar Ham Chowder

2 ½ c water
2 c potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 c sliced carrots
½ c sliced celery
¼ c chopped onion
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ c butter
¼ c flour
2 c milk
2 c cheddar cheese
16 oz frozen corn
1 ½ c cubed ham

Bring water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt, and pepper to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes or until veggies are tender. Set aside; do not drain. In second pan, melt butter; blend in flour. Add milk; cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Stir in other veggies (including broth); add corn and ham. Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.


Anything with that much cheese and potato has got to be good, right? Next: desserts...mmm...

1 comment:

Angie said...

I made this for lunch today. It is delicious! Thanks for sharing. (sept07_bride from Ind. Bump board)