Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pie Crust Cookies

I'm not sure where this recipe originated...I just know that my mom has always made these every year at Christmas, and since I've been living on my own in (2004), these cookies have been a "must-bake" every year. It's just not Christmas until I have a pie crust cookie!

Pie Crust Cookies

Cookies:
1 cup butter
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 cups flour
Sugar (separate, roughly ½ cup)

Filling:
¼ cup softened butter
About 3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Milk
Red and green coloring

For cookies: Mix butter, cream, and flour. Chill. Divide into thirds. Roll 1/3 to 1/8 inch thickness on floured board. Cut with 1½ inch round cutter. Place cookies on waxed paper heavily covered with sugar and flip. Place on ungreased sheet. Prick each 4 times with fork. Bake at 350-375 for 7-9 minutes, depending on how crisp you want the cookies. Cool for 1 minute and then remove from sheet (too soon and they will fall apart, too late and they will stick to sheet). Fill 2 cookies with filling.
For filling: Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla; add milk until desired consistency. (You can use less powdered sugar if you want a thinner filling, but we’ve always made them with a generous amount of frosting.) Divide and add coloring. Makes approximately 4 dozen.


They're so incredibly sugary, buttery, and GOOD. I'm normally a chocolate fiend, but these are definitely one of my favorites. Give 'em a try!

No comments: