Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Important Things with Demetri Martin

This is not good. I have another TV show to add to my schedule, starting tonight - Important Things (10:30 EST on Comedy Central...I swear I'm not getting paid to push TV shows...I just have no life apparently). I first saw Demetri Martin doing a stand-up appearance on one of the late night talk shows a few years ago, and after seeing his Comedy Central special I bought his CD/DVD set called These Are Jokes. It's definitely become one of my favorites. He's got some of the observational and surreal humor of Mitch Hedberg (whom we lost way, way too soon), the bizarreness of Jack Handey, and occasionally music and even drawing added in for a unique touch. There are a lot of Demetri's jokes to which I cannot do justice without his delivery, but here are a few favorites to give you a taste of what his comedy is like:

"I think it would be cool if you were writing a ransom note in Microsoft Word, and the paper clip popped up and said, 'It looks like you’re writing a ransom note… need some help? You should use stronger language, you can get more money.'"

"I think graffiti is the most passionate literature there is. It's always like, "Bush sucks." "U2 Rules." I wanna make indifferent graffiti: "Toy Story 2 was OK." "I like Gina as a friend, but I'm not sure about taking things further." "'This is a bridge.""

"I saw a sign that said “Watch for children” and I thought, "That sounds like a fair trade, especially if they’re crappy kids.""

So who knows - maybe it's not your thing, and maybe the show won't be as good as the stand-up, but I figure it's at least worth a try. I just like to look for things that will hopefully make me laugh...ya need something to help you forget about the real world for awhile, right?

No comments: