Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is my go-to chocolate chip cookie, my ultimate comfort food - yet another recipe that my mom has been making for years. I think she found it in a local newspaper...I like to credit sources when I can, but a quick online search for "chocolate chip cookie recipe" quickly showed me that there was no way I was going to be able to find this exact recipe.

But anyway, I highly recommend you try these. I brought the first couple dozen to family game night last Friday and they disappeared! The funny thing is I tried the Cook's Illustrated Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe last year since everyone was raving about it, and I didn't think they was worth the hype because to me, they were just bigger versions of my mom's. (And these involve fewer steps!)


Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 eggs
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
12 oz package chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sugars, butter, vanilla and eggs thoroughly; stir together flour, soda and salt into sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoons (or smaller) about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 to 12 minutes.

Note: I just made these with rounded tablespoonfuls of dough and it came out to around 5 dozen cookies. Also, I'd recommend taking these out of the oven when they look not quite done and letting them rest on the cookie sheet for another minute or so - that seems to yield the best texture.

No comments: